Saturday, January 28, 2012

Mr. Wizard

I watched this show religiously as a kid on Nickelodeon.  I can still remember some of my favorite episodes: the straw and grape juice, how to measure the height of a tree with a pan of water, bursting hydrogen/helium filled balloons with a candle, and the explanation of Archimedes' "Eureka!  I have found it!" quote.

The show was awesome. 

Don Herbert (Mr. Wizard) died one month shy of his 90th birthday in 2007.  He was a pilot in World War II and was (along with Bill Murray) a guest on the premiere of "Late Night with David Letterman."

I'd love to own those episodes again.  They are wonderful for teaching and hopefully interesting kids in science.  The best I've found is this website, but it says "only select episodes are available for purchase."  That might just be good enough for me!

More about Don Herbet: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0378532/

More about Mr. Wizard's World, purchase DVDs: http://www.mrwizardstudios.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment